Monday, July 26, 2004

Julie Shines

A great radio moment this morning on the way to work. As I've stated before I listen to Radio National, the ABC's current affairs flagship - home of the great communards. Why? Challenging your own views is critical to wisdom (see yesterday's post).

Julie McCrossin was interviewing Professor Keith Tester, Chair of Cultural Sociology at the University of Portsmouth. At one point she slipped into a fantastic polemic, the Professor was rattled and quickly modified his position conceding the point to her. I must say I was very impressed, and I am rarely thus. Challenging academics (like myself) is vital.

Challenge me with argument, and we will both learn from the experience. Never dismiss positions out of hand - rebut them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home