Friday, April 23, 2004

2004 Templeton Prize

I was listening to an interview recently with this years Templeton Prize winner, George Ellis on Radio National's Breakfast program. He was explaining that the existence of life is so improbable that Physicists currently have two theories regarding the universe.

The first theory is the existence of a creator (Incidentally, I don't subscribe to the theory that it is possible to prove the existence of a creator through science). The second theory which is gaining popularity is that of a multi-verse. Sounding like something out of Star Trek, the theory is that there is an almost infinite number of parallel universes each slightly different from the next. We just happen to live in one where all the ingredients were right for life to be formed (amount of carbon etc...). These parallel universes we haven't found yet and there are two possibilities, either they are not connected to our universe and we won't be able to find them, or they are connected but they are so far away that we are unable to see them.

I am not a physicist (having no more than first year university physics), so I won't pretend to understand things that I don't, but to me this sounds like a crock of shyte. You run your experiment, find a significant result that you don't want, so you say "I know, lets imagine that the population is much bigger than the universe. That way I don't have to acknowledge what I found is significant because I lose all power in my test". Brilliant statistician's answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home