Monday, April 26, 2004

ANZAC Day

It is that time of year when we spend a moment thinking about the Anzacs, particularly those from the Gallipoli campaign.

Terry Lane (of The National Interest) posed an interesting question yesterday to Dr Tom Frame, the Anglican Bishop to the Australian Defence Force. Essentially he questioned how could Gallipoli be justified under the doctrine of a 'Just War'. Invading Turkey, a country which posed no possible threat to Australia, on British orders presumably to secure the Ottoman Empire oil assets.

I missed the response, so I'll try and listen to the repeat tonight. It is always good to challenge your beliefs - which is why I listen to Phillip Adams (yes he is a nutcase, but an entertaining one all the same) every night I can. Rather than simply dismissing the left I do try to see things from their perspective, as in life, the truth always lies somewhere in the middle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home