Sunday, October 10, 2004

Victory

As I walked to the local polling booth yesterday with my eldest son I came across the posters adorning the walls of the school.

"Vote Labor - Free Health Care to over 75"

I had a feeling of dread. Could we be so bought?

The only worker who even tried to hand me an election pamphlet was a Green, who I politely declined. Most people accept all they are offered, but I could not so demean myself.

Once inside I calmly filled out my vote then spent a bit of time looking around. Every single elderly person in the room had a how to vote Liberal card. I then realised the folly of Labor's plan. I'm guessing once you've voted one way all your life it is too late to change, no matter the bribe.

(I know they were really targeting the soon to retire baby boomers, but 75 is still a long way off for them).

Feeling better I returned home, via the school playground equipment for my son. He enjoyed his first taste of democracy in action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home