Thursday, October 12, 2006

All things new

I've upgraded to a Tecra S3 laptop today which weighs about half as much as my old laptop. Much faster, has a Geeforce video card, 80 gig HD, 1 gig Ram. Sweet notebook. The old one was beginning to feel a bit dated as I patiently waited each morning for it to boot.

I upgraded from a 17" to a Philips 19" LCD screen. My wife asked me last night, "When does a screen become to big? You've gone from a 15 to a 17 and now to a 19 inch screen." The answer is obvious. When you begin to get a cramp in your neck, and not before.

Also upgraded to a 1 gig USB 2.0 flash storage device. My old one wasn't USB 2.0 so that will be the biggest difference I'll notice here.

My $50 dot to dot books arrived this morning, as did Mark Steyn's latest book, and Dvorak's 7th, 8th and 9th symphonies. Can't wait to put these onto the IPod. I've really fallen for the IPod, especially when you can plug it straight into any speaker system and play any CD uploaded to it using the intuitive interface. Plus best of all playing it through my car's stereo system.

Last night I put a collection of Mussorgsky, Verdi, Wagner and Greig onto the IPod. Ready to go at a moments notice.

New gadgets, new reading, new music. All in all a good day and the only thing missing is my complete collection of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Companies don't compete so much on costs these days - they compete on distribution systems. The small company sending me those 3 CD's isn't fairing too well right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Domitar said...

It's true :(

p.s. The other good thing about an IPod is you can order Audio Books. I'm very tempted to buy my books that way from now on. I find it much easier to set aside time for listening, than time for reading.

Maybe take up early morning jogging with an audiobook although what I really want is an audio dot to dot book.

3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home