Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Guild Elections

It's that time of year again. Guild elections.

The young and ambitious who feel they need to get elected to something in order to succeed in business or politics are out on mass.

The worst part is when they come in to my lectures and ask for speaking time at the beginning. I have 400 students and I'm sure they would much rather be generally listening to my dulcet tones than the inane chatter of the hopeful electee.

I had one such student yesterday. Promising she would talk for 30 seconds who managed to waffle for about 4 minutes about nothing (as far as I could tell). A lot of talk of community but I never actually heard her mention who she was, which party or what she proposed to actually do for the university community.

I drifted off into sleep only to be awoken by applause from the 400 students. What the heck? Well I'm glad they knew what she was talking about, but then we generally do get the politicians we deserve. Maybe they deserve this one?

Perhaps I'm just resentful because the urchins standing around the polling booths don't even try to burden me with pamphlets anymore. When I first started here they often mistook me for a fellow student as I walked around campus. Sometimes I had to take great pains to avoid them.

Now some ten years later no-one make that mistake anymore. I can walk boldly through a crowd of election workers and no-one will thinks for a second I'm a young willing potential voter.

I wore my old jeans today. Maybe I'll stick an ipod in my ear and try and walk through the horde one last time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home