Thursday, October 19, 2006

Podcasts by Request

By Request a list of my favourite podcasts. They probably generate around 25-30 hours worth of listening each week. I try to listen to all of them.

History
BBC Documentary Archive
ABC: Hindsight

Science
Dr Karl's Great Moments in Science
Dr Karl on triple J
ABC: The Science Show
ABC: Ockham's Razor
ABC News Radio: Starstuff (Excellent Podcast)
ABC Radio National: The Philosopher's Zone
NPR Technology

Business
NPR Economy
The Economist (Excellent Podcast)
Time Magazine - Busines Review
BBC4 - Peter Days In Business Report (Excellent Podcast)

Perspective
View from the Left: ABC Late Night Live
View from the Soft Left: The National Interest
View from the Soft Left: Big Ideas
Libertarian Viewpoint: Radio National Counterpoint
View from the Right: Townhall.com The Hugh Hewit Show

Topical Take
ABC: Background Briefing (One of my favourites)

Overseas
ABC: Correspondent's Report
BBC: From our own correspondent

Politics
ABC News Radio: Question time from the house of representatives (Australian Parliament)
NPR: It's all Politics

Entertainment
Battlestar Galactica (I don't listen to these until after I've seen the episode)

There's another 8 or so Podcasts I subscribe to that I've forgotten off the top of my head. I'll add them to the list as I remember.

2 Comments:

Blogger Domitar said...

I flagged my favourites there.

I love Background Briefing. A full hour of reporting on interesting topics. 1 hour / week. Never miss it.

Starstuff is another great one. 30 mins / week.

The Economist podcasts are short, but if you're interested in globalisation topics they are the masters.

Peter Day's in Business report is awesome. He's a truly great reporter. He has another program I listen to on the radio, when I can, called Global Business, but unfortunately I've never found a podcast for it. Anyway 30 mins of enjoyable listening.

Parliamentary Question time goes for up to 5 hours a week. I've listened to question time for years, but podcasting it is far more convenient than trying to listen to it on the radio. That's a hard one to keep up with, but I'm up to date at the moment.

2:41 pm  
Blogger Domitar said...

The Philosopher's zone can be a little slow at time.

Speaking of slow other pods I find boring are:

ABC: Hindsight
ABC: Big Ideas

I persist with then anyway. Not sure why.

From the Perspective Category I most enjoy listening to:

Late Night Live (I've listened to to this for around 10 years). P. Adams the staunch leftist, but with a fascinating program.

Hugh Hewitt (Townhall.com)
Hewitt is a US constitutional law professor. You could describe this as 'Republican Radio' but what makes it interesting is the quality of the weekly guests he interviews.

What I like about both the above programs is that the presenters do not try to pass themselves off as impartial. Like everyone they have views, but they make those views known - and they are both prepared to stand by them.

Great listening.

2:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home